“[A]ny request for an order shall be made by motion.” Local Rule 9013-1.
Before filing a motion, the movant must:
- contact the calendar clerk for the judge assigned to the case to obtain a hearing date and time (the contact information is available on one of these pages: Chief Judge Michael E. Ridgway, Judge Kathleen H. Sanberg, Judge Katherine A. Constantine, Judge William J. Fisher, and Judge Robert J. Kressel);
- determine the required time periods for service and filing (see Local Rule 9006-1(b));
- determine who must be served (see Local Rule 9013-3); and
determine signature requirements for electronically filed documents (see Local Rule 9011-4).
A complete motion must include the following documents in a single PDF file:
- Notice of hearing and motion (see Local Form 9013-2);
- If facts are at issue, an affidavit or verification (see Local Rule 9013-2(d));
- A concise memorandum of facts and law;
- Exhibits or other attachments, as appropriate (see Local Rule 9013-2(e));
- For motions for relief from stay concerning the debtor’s principal residence, Local Form 4001-1
- Proof of service (see Local Form 9001-1) on those parties not automatically served through CM/ECF; and
A proposed order (NOT scanned).
- If a fee is required for the type of motion being filed, it must be paid at the time of filing the motion. This would include motions for relief from stay, to compel abandonment, to withdraw reference, or to sell property free and clear of liens. For information on motions and other filings that require a fee, see Filing Fees and Service Changes.